If you're a Nutella fan, but worried about some of the unhealthy ingredients, you're in luck because I've got a healthier homemade version. Plus, there are health benefits to it! A recent study from the Journal of Nutrition found that people who ate hazelnuts for sixteen weeks saw an increase in their magnesium and Vitamin E levels. Vitamin E helps protect our cells from free radicals and fight against viruses. When combined with the unsweetened cacao powder, this hazelnut spread is an antioxidant powerhouse. Enjoy it on a piece of toast, waffles, or with your favorite piece of fruit.
- 3 cups roasted hazelnuts
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened cacao powder
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- Roast hazelnuts at 350 degrees for about 15 minutes, turning once, and checking on them every so often. You'll want them to be a golden brown color.
- Once cool, remove the skins of the hazelnuts and add to a food processor or high-speed blender.
- Blend on low for 8-10 minutes.
- Once the nut butter is formed, add in the cacao powder, vanilla extract, salt and maple syrup.
- Blend again until smooth, then enjoy!
(Recipe Adapted From Minimalist Baker)
TRY OUR GUILT-FREE DESSERT PACK
Guilt-Free Dessert Pack, $34 - 5 days worth of healthy desserts