It might be making a bold statement, but we think pesto is the perfect condiment. It's easy to make, can be stored in the freezer for later, and it’s full of healthy fats and vitamins. This dairy-free spinach and basil pesto pairs well with anything. Try adding it as a sauce to your zoodles or pasta, put it in a scramble, or serve it as a salad dressing. Alternatively, use it as a dip for veggies or a spread for your sandwich.
WHY WE LOVE IT
- Basil contains anti-inflammatory properties and antioxidants that help fight free radical damage.
- Basil and spinach both contain vitamin K, which helps maintain healthy blood vessels.
- Spinach is an excellent source of folate and helps maintain digestion.
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil helps lower cholesterol, promote heart health and keeps you satiated.
Dairy-Free Spinach and Basil Pesto
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Servings: About 1 cup
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1/2 cup of pine nuts
- 1.5 cups of spinach
- 1.5 cups of basil
- Juice from 1/2 a lemon
- Salt & Pepper
- 1/2 cup of extra virgin olive oil
- Peel the cloves of garlic.
- Put the garlic, pine nuts, spinach and basil into the food processor. Before closing the lid, add in the lemon juice and a pinch of salt & pepper.
- Blend on high, then slowly add in the olive oil while it’s blending.
- Add more salt & pepper or olive oil if needed and continue blending until smooth.
- Store in a mason jar in the refrigerator to keep it fresh or place in ice cube trays and freeze for later use.
More Delicious Vegan Dishes:
TRY THESE SPINACH-INFUSED SMOOTHIES