With increasing studies and research showing that gut health plays a key role in a properly functioning body, getting enough fermented and probiotic-rich foods is more important than ever. One of the best and most delicious ways to get your daily dose of probiotics is by pickling your own vegetables. Our recipe for pickled onions below is easy and incredibly versatile! Try adding them to your eggs, tacos, or on top of a salad for an extra burst of flavor.
Quick Pickled Onions
- 1 medium red onion (can also use 1 cucumber cut into thin slices)
- 1 pint size mason jar
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar (can also substitute white vinegar)
- 1 tbsp raw honey
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- Slice your onion into thin strands.
- In a bowl, whisk together apple cider vinegar, honey and salt.
- Pack the onion into the mason jar, allowing for 1/2 inch of space from the rim of the jar to the top of the vegetables. Pack them in as tightly as possible without smashing.
- Add in the brine (apple cider vinegar, salt and honey), then seal the jar and wait at least 4 hours at room temperature, or refrigerate overnight.
KEEP YOUR GUT HEALTHY WITH THESE PROBIOTICS